If your movie expectations are violated, will you be frustrated? Not in my case of watching Viy: The Spirit of Evil on its advanced screening held at Greenbelt 3 My Cinema on Thursday.
This dark fantasy film revolves around the cartographer Jonathan Green and his encounters with a notorious monster named Viy, who is responsible for many deaths in a Ukranian village in the 17th century. The monster can cut through the soul of his victims with just the gaze of its eyes, thus it becomes a notorious evil.
“Viy” (Russian: Вий) is written by the Ukrainian-born Russian writer Nikolai Gogol.
Based on this synopsis, Jane and I expected that it would be gruesome—full of blood and violence—and could make us scream at the top of our lungs. It doesn’t have the box of shock and scare we saw on the popular films like Shutter, The Ring or even The Grudge.
However, we found ourselves watching a film induced with a little humor and the old debate about Science and Religion.
It’s not a bad thing at all.
- It’s a refreshing film that talks about collision of Science and Religion without the actual debate from two parties. It clearly shows how these two differ and how they can be a good force when combined together.
- It’s the first Russian film that I have seen, and surprisingly, it did a good job in terms of story-telling.
- The film talks about real life demons and fears we encounter every day.
- After watching Viy, I thought I’m watching a folklore story from Ukraine. When I goggled Viy, it’s actually part of the Ukranian folklore.
- The cinematography and graphic effects of the film was well made. It’s dubbed in English, however. It’s best seen in 3D because there are some scenes and flying objects that will make you jolt from your seat.
- “Tywin Lannister” is also there with an interesting little cameo.
Viy: The Spirit of Evil will be shown in 3D in selected theatres in Metro Manila, and in 2D nationwide starting October 22.
These are not the only things you can get from watching Viy: The Spirit of Evil, Apple’s iPhone 6 is also at stake with the movie’s exciting promo!
All viewers of the movie can qualify to join the promo.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Watch the movie starting on October 22.
- Write your name and signature on the ticket where the title of the movie is visible, then take a selfie with it.
- Like the official Facebook account of the movie: https://www.facebook.com/VIYSPIRITOFEVILPH and upload your picture by clicking the steps found in the “Watch & Get a chance to WIN iPhone 6” logo.
- To find out if you’re one of the lucky winners, follow their movie Facebook page, Futuretainment Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/futuretainmentinc), Futuretainment Instagram page (@futureupdate) using your registered email.